Digital Marketing Executive - Fully Remote
Salary: up to £30,000 (according to experience — see our remuneration policy)
Location: 100% remote
Closing date: 31 Aug 2022
Join us on our mission to make news serve people better — because a healthy society needs a healthy news diet.
NewsNow — now in its 25th year — is a rare UK-based .com success story: a news organisation using technology to support and promote credible, independent and public interest journalism, via the extremely successful news aggregation and discovery platform NewsNow.co.uk.
Founded in 1997 to democratise and disrupt the market for news, NewsNow has since become a global top 50 news website with millions of loyal users who discover news from thousands of publishers.
NewsNow presents curated and breaking headlines from around the world for people who want to stay abreast of topics they are passionate about, weigh up differing presentations of the facts and viewpoints, and challenge their preconceptions all as they make up their own minds.
We believe what we do helps make society better, but huge challenges remain. Now, in this era of fake news and polarisation, and as we proudly near our 25th anniversary, our social mission to support and promote credible, independent and public interest journalism is more important than ever.
About the role
NewsNow is seeking a passionate digital marketing executive to join our growing marketing team, and assist the marketing manager in conceiving, planning, executing and evaluating campaigns for a wide variety of purposes, formats and media.
You will be involved in:
- Growing brand awareness and audiences internationally through a combination of advertising and SEO.
- Promoting our values and social mission - that a healthy society needs a healthy news diet.
- Attracting and encouraging talented and mission-led individuals to join the NewsNow team.
- Promoting our tech credentials to the development community, such as the Dockside Online IDE, our free open-source development tool.
You will be working across multiple marketing disciplines, including advertising (e.g. print, SEO and PPC), online and offline events, copywriting and design, UX/UI design, social media, and more.
At NewsNow, the marketing team is also responsible for running and evaluating the performance of our programmatic advertising operation, and you will be expected to play a role in this.
We're a small tight-knit team at NewsNow, so in addition to the above, you'll also support and collaborate with members of our editorial and development teams to help us achieve our business objectives.
You and your skills
For this role you will need:
- A demonstrable understanding of how to use online and offline marketing channels, as well as popular marketing platforms, to help us achieve our objectives. For example, SEO, PPC, social media, email, print advertising, and events.
- Skills to analyse, evaluate and report on marketing and other activity to help stakeholders make informed decisions.
- A creative flair and experience using popular design tools, such as Figma, Photoshop and InDesign.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and experience in producing marketing copy.
- Experience assisting with, or creating, data-informed audience profiles and turning them into buyable audiences.
- A keen eye for detail.
- A keen appreciation for NewsNow's drive to help make news serve people better by supporting and promoting credible, independent and public interest journalism, and in turn, news media plurality.
In addition, a working knowledge of, or a desire to learn, the programmatic ecosystem (such as Google Ad Manager and SSPs) would be nice to have.
You’re also someone who:
- Is comfortable with fully remote working and being trained remotely
- Is confident and articulate about what they know and open about what they don't
- Will thrive in a small, open and collaborative team, where the best ideas can come from anyone.
- Open: we share and collaborate within and across departments
- Rigorous: We like to be clear about what we're doing, and why. Experimentation and peer-review are in our DNA
- One team, one vision: no office politics
- An appreciative environment: expect to hear ‘thanks’ a lot
- Room to grow: development of skills and responsibilities is encouraged and rewarded
- Virtual: we are today a fully-remote company with occasional in-person get-togethers
- Family-friendly and flexible: we understand sometimes personal needs come first
Our remuneration policy
NewsNow is an exceptionally stable business that values long-term relationships with its employees. As an incentive to join NewsNow, we will look to offer candidates their current market rate or above.
Furthermore, we run a programme of annual (or even more frequent) appraisals and pay reviews, with the aim of ensuring our employees are motivated, fulfilled, and that their remuneration reflects and recognises their developing expertise (whether transferable skills, or knowledge of our particular stack), their value to NewsNow, and on the wider job market.
All our positions are fully remote - work from home 100% of the time. We offer flexible working for all team members (we’re a family-friendly company) with occasional in-person meetups. Furthermore, we provide:
- UK-resident employees with an annual bonus, private health insurance, a competitive holiday allowance, home office equipment, and more - please ask.
- Non-UK-resident employees or contractors with benefits according to their location and employee status - please ask.
More about NewsNow
NewsNow is the UK’s largest independent news aggregation and discovery platform. A one-stop shop for news for 12m unique monthly visitors, NewsNow is a UK top 50 website, and a global top 50 news destination.
Running stably and profitably since our start in 1997, since 2009 we've been ad funded — experiencing great commercial success as an industry leader in programmatic advertising technologies — however today we are actively exploring how, together with other news organisations, we can move towards a future where public interest news and journalism is funded sustainably by the people it serves.
NewsNow is led by a gender-diverse technically-minded board. Of our three directors, two — including the CEO/Managing Director — are developers, and one is female.
The company is proud of its place within the media ecosystem, providing a platform particularly for smaller and independent publications to reach their audience, and helping to grow media plurality. We are a driver of quality in the news media and today set editorial standards for much of the content we link to. Read more about our social mission, our ethos and how we support and promote public interest journalism.
NewsNow is also very proud to be the first digital member of the Disaster Emergency Committee’s Rapid Response Network, which helps alert the UK public efficiently to its vital humanitarian emergency fundraising appeals.
If this interests you, get in touch and tell us about yourself. We’re hiring continuously so there’s never a bad time to say hello.