Editorial Assistant - Fully Remote
Salary: £22,000 (according to experience — see our remuneration policy)
Location: 100% remote
Closing date: 31 Aug 2022
Join us on our mission to make news serve people better — because a healthy society needs a healthy news diet.
NewsNow — now in its 25th year — is a rare UK-based .com success story: a news organisation using technology to support and promote credible, independent and public interest journalism, via the extremely successful news aggregation and discovery platform NewsNow.co.uk.
Founded in 1997 to democratise and disrupt the market for news, NewsNow has since become a global top 50 news website with millions of loyal users who discover news from thousands of publishers.
NewsNow presents curated and breaking headlines from around the world for people who want to stay abreast of topics they are passionate about, weigh up differing presentations of the facts and viewpoints, and challenge their preconceptions all as they make up their own minds.
We believe what we do helps make society better, but huge challenges remain. Now, in this era of fake news and polarisation, and as we proudly near our 25th anniversary, our social mission to support and promote credible, independent and public interest journalism is more important than ever.
About the role
We are recruiting tech-savvy, news-conscious graduates aiming for a career in the media industry, who will be responsible for helping ensure NewsNow users get the best possible experience of our website.
This is a technically challenging, unique and rewarding role that combines tech skills with editorial decision-making; the maintenance and development of our publisher database and search algorithms, combined with the upholding of editorial standards.
On a day-to-day basis, this involves:
- editing records that control how our search technology applies to individual news sources;
- correcting metadata describing each source to ensure relevant content is displayed;
- crafting and editing engaging topic headings and descriptions;
- researching and classifying new publications;
- designing and maintaining curation logic that control how news articles are filtered to relevant topic pages;
- handling and responding to website enquiries;
- liaising with publishers;
- monitoring the quality of content on the website, ensuring it reflects the needs of our users and our mission;
You will be expected to make yourself fully conversant with the company's database maintenance tools and scripting language, and be able to use them quickly and efficiently to add to and debug the flow of news from the world's online news publications. Detailed training will be provided by our experienced team members.
You will also need to become acquainted with and knowledgeable in the application of NewsNow's editorial standards.
All of which adds up to an exciting role at the cutting edge of modern media - the application of technology and editorial management to produce content consumed by millions of people.
You and your skills
This is a great opportunity for a bright media, journalism or publishing graduate, who will be able to comprehend the complexity of the technology that drives our systems and grasp what goes on 'under the bonnet' of the internet.
You will be knowledgeable and passionate about at least one of: current affairs/politics and sport/football.
You are expected to possess excellent communication skills, good memory, well developed keyboard skills and meticulous attention to detail. Prior knowledge of HTML, regular expressions and logical expressions would be an advantage, and quick learning is essential.
The ideal candidate will have some data entry/database maintenance experience, and be knowledgeable about regular expressions.
And finally, you must possess a positive, can-do attitude, and always look to do the job to the best of your ability.
You’re also someone who:
- Thrives in a small, open and collaborative team, where the best ideas can come from anyone. You’re confident and articulate about what you know and open about what you don’t
- Is comfortable with fully remote working
- Open: we share and collaborate within and across departments
- Rigorous: We like to be clear about what we're doing, and why. Experimentation and peer-review are in our DNA
- One team, one vision: no office politics
- An appreciative environment: expect to hear ‘thanks’ a lot
- Room to grow: development of skills and responsibilities is encouraged and rewarded
- Virtual: we are today a fully-remote company with occasional in-person get-togethers
- Family-friendly and flexible: we understand sometimes personal needs come first
Our remuneration policy
NewsNow is an exceptionally stable business that values long-term relationships with its employees. As an incentive to join NewsNow, we will look to offer candidates their current market rate or above.
Furthermore, we run a programme of annual (or even more frequent) appraisals and pay reviews, with the aim of ensuring our employees are motivated, fulfilled, and that their remuneration reflects and recognises their developing expertise (whether transferable skills, or knowledge of our particular stack), their value to NewsNow, and on the wider job market.
All our positions are fully remote - work from home 100% of the time. We offer flexible working for all team members (we’re a family-friendly company) with occasional in-person meetups. Furthermore, we provide:
- UK-resident employees with an annual bonus, private health insurance, a competitive holiday allowance, home office equipment, and more - please ask.
- Non-UK-resident employees or contractors with benefits according to their location and employee status - please ask.
More about NewsNow
NewsNow is the UK’s largest independent news aggregation and discovery platform. A one-stop shop for news for 12m unique monthly visitors, NewsNow is a UK top 50 website, and a global top 50 news destination.
Running stably and profitably since our start in 1997, since 2009 we've been ad funded — experiencing great commercial success as an industry leader in programmatic advertising technologies — however today we are actively exploring how, together with other news organisations, we can move towards a future where public interest news and journalism is funded sustainably by the people it serves.
NewsNow is led by a gender-diverse technically-minded board. Of our three directors, two — including the CEO/Managing Director — are developers, and one is female.
The company is proud of its place within the media ecosystem, providing a platform particularly for smaller and independent publications to reach their audience, and helping to grow media plurality. We are a driver of quality in the news media and today set editorial standards for much of the content we link to. Read more about our social mission, our ethos and how we support and promote public interest journalism.
NewsNow is also very proud to be the first digital member of the Disaster Emergency Committee’s Rapid Response Network, which helps alert the UK public efficiently to its vital humanitarian emergency fundraising appeals.
If this interests you, get in touch and tell us about yourself. We’re hiring continuously so there’s never a bad time to say hello.